These golden Paleo muffins are aptly named so due to the special added ingredient of golden linseed (flaxseed), giving them not only a beautiful golden hue and delectable flavour but making them extremely healthy to boot!
I decided to make these golden muffins the other day after stocking up on some golden linseed and deciding to grind some up to use as a healthy Paleo alternative to plain flour in my recipes.
Having not used linseed flour before, I was a bit apprehensive as to how they would turn out, but I needn’t have been… they were AMAZING!
Apart from the fact that I should have used two eggs instead of just the one (that I had) in order for them to have fluffed up some more and created a larger muffin top (on the muffins, not me!), I think they turned out rather well!
Soft, fluffy and with an almost crunchy coating, these Paleo muffins are an even better alternative to non-Paleo muffins, as well as being mega healthy as well.
The superfood linseed is a great source of nutrients including omega-3 (the richest plant source on the planet of omega-3 fatty acids!), protein, antioxidants, fibre and vitamins.
The regular consumption of linseed has been found to reduce the risk of several diseases.
Grinding up linseed ensures that the nutrients are absorbed quicker into the body, making them more effective as well as a result.
Try this recipe for yourself and see how good it tastes for yourself.
For a fully vegan alternative, you can replace the eggs with a vegan egg substitute made up of 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed and 2-3 tbsp. of water mixed together.
- 3-4 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 100g coconut/muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs.
- 200g flaxseed/coconut/chia seed flour (equally combine the flours)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 75g nut milk
- In a mixer, mix the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix some more before adding the flour, vanilla extract, baking powder and mixing until smooth.
- Add the milk and mix some more until the mix is a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture evenly into individual cup cake cases lined in a muffin tray and place in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a knife placed inside the middle of on of the muffins comes out clear, with no cake mix on it).
- Mix 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Mix until smooth and let sit for 5 minutes before using in the recipe.