Missed out on making pancakes for Pancake Day?
No worries as these mega tasty, blueberry, dark chocolate and cocao nib SUPERFOOD pancakes will more than make up for it!
What’s more, they are 100% gluten-free, Paleo and vegan to boot.
“What makes these pancakes superfood pancakes?”, I hear you ask.
Well let me tell you.
Aside from being ubér delish, these pancakes are ram-packed full of a variety of superfoods, all intentionally added to make your whole delightful eating experience even better by also making this dish a health food from heaven!
I’m telling you, these pancakes are so heavenly AND healthy that in our household we’ve taken to calling them South London’s manna from heaven…
Choca-block (see what I did there?) full of juicy blueberries, rich dark chocolate, mega-healthy cocoa nibs and oozing with golden nectar, not only are these exquisite pancakes super delicious but a superfood masterpiece.
To health-conscious foodies, superfoods are nothing new.
The word has been touted for over a decade to describe nutrient-dense foods. However, there is some debate as to which foods can be labelled as such.
Without going into unnecessarily boring details here (as this is a blog and not a scientific website!), all you need to know is that blueberries, dark chocolate and cocao nibs ARE all considered MAJOR superfoods (and if you’re not a vegan and wish to replace the agave with honey, then you can add that to the list too)!
Blueberries are a natural antioxidant, meaning that they are anti-ageing. They are also extremely high in potassium and vitamins A and K, which means that they can prevent high blood pressure and cancer.
Blueberries also contain high levels of calcium, magnesium and zinc, making them excellent for maintaining and increasing bone strength.
Another bonus to eating blueberries is that they are naturally low in fat. 😍
Cocao nibs can be described as a super-duper superfood!
Made from PURE cocao, cocao nibs are collected directly from the cocao bean and are considered a superfood due to their high levels of flavonoids, a powerful anti-inflammatory substance found in fruits and vegetables.
Cocao nibs are also a natural antioxidant, containing even more levels than blueberries and goji berries combined! This is perfect in helping to absorb free radicals and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Due to its high levels of magnesium and phenylethylamine, cocao nibs are also known to burn fat whilst also increase energy, which is a great thing for all weight conscious food lovers.
Extremely high in fibre, just a small amount of cocao nibs will leave you satiated for longer, which can lead to weight loss.
Cocao nibs also contain high levels of iron, which can assist with iron deficiency.
Containing more cocao than average milk chocolate, dark chocolate is another superfood that needn’t be considered ‘naughty’ for the many above reasons alone.
Aside from this and simply put: dark chocolate is chocolate, man!
So give this superfood pancake recipe a go… not only will you NOT be disappointed but your mind, body and soul will thank you for it.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup tapioca/arrowroot flour
- 1 cup nut/hemp/coconut milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste/vanilla extract
- Pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Coconut oil (to fry the pancakes)
- Handful frozen blueberries
- Handful organic cocao nibs
- Handful of dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Lindt Excellence 85% Dark Chocolate Bar)
- Combine the almond, coconut, tapioca/arrowroot flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together and mix all the ingredients well before adding the milk and paste/extract and ensuring that all of the ingredients are whisked together to form a smooth batter.
- Allow to sit for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil into a frying pan/skillet and pour a small enough amount of the batter into the middle of the pan.
- Allow the batter to cook sufficiently for a few minutes (the edges should start to brown and the top of the batter should start to bubble) on one side before sprinkling on a few blueberries and flipping the pancake over to cook on the other side.
- Immediately sprinkle on some of the cocao nibs and dark chocolate on top and continue to cook thoroughly for a few minutes before removing the pancake and setting aside.
- Repeat with the remaining batter until finished.
- Pour over the agave, give thanks and enjoy!
- This recipe requires no eggs or egg substitute but if you wish to make a vegan egg substitute, then combine 1 part flaxseed with 3 parts distilled water.