Forget cloud eggs, it’s all about the cloud bread!
Light, fluffy, paleo and gluten-free, cloud bread is what it’s all about. Made with minimal ingredients and ready in a matter of minutes, cloud bread is the perfect carb free alternative to bread.
So cloud eggs have been all over the internet for more than a hot minute and I really don’t get it.
I mean, what would possess anyone to want to eat an egg that looks like it’s got leprosy?
A cloud egg looks like an egg that’s been stung by thousands of bees or had an allergic reaction to something and swollen up to look all grotesque and worse than the elephant man.
The first time I saw those God-forsaken things on the internet I thought they were some kind of sick joke but I can tell you now, I for one will never be having them on my plate first thing in the morning!
Seriously, just like the 80’s mullet or puff-ball skirt, some trends were just NOT made to be followed.
Pray tell, why would anyone want to go and mess with the simplistic smoothness of a perfectly fried egg?
However, when looking further into things (google), I found something similar to cloud eggs which did make me smile and that is cloud bread.
These beauties – unlike their deformed cousins – are quite lovely.
Smooth, fluffy and so inviting, you literally just want to stroke them as soon as they’re removed from the oven.
I’m telling you, good really can come from bad as, if it wasn’t for the fact that I had the misfortune of seeing those hideous cloud eggs, I would never have had the opportunity to then avert my eyes and stumble upon cloud bread!
Apart from the fact that they are gluten-free and literally carb free, what makes these gems so special is that they indeed almost have the texture of bread, and even more so when left to further dry out overnight.
They’re great on their own or as a bun to make sandwiches.
They’re also extremely easy to make and ready from start to finish in less than half an hour, therefore making them ideal for breakfast.
As someone who misses eating bread and sandwiches, finding a tasty carb free alternative is like finding gold, so you can understand why cloud bread is literally like manna to me!
If you haven’t done so already, give them a go. You can change the seasonings slightly to suit your tastes (like adding Italian herb seasoning or garlic powder) but stick to the basic recipe and you really cannot go wrong.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 50g cream cheese / *strained organic yoghurt (for paleo)
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch dried mixed herbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 150c.
- Whisk the egg whites as you would when making meringues, until they have formed into stiff peaks.
- In a seperate bowl whisk the egg yolks with the remaining ingredients and then, a little at a time, spoon in and gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Spoon the mixture evenly on baking trays (lined with baking paper) and place in the oven to bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool before serving.
- *For a paleo alternative to cream cheese, you can simply strain plain yoghurt through a muslin cloth to remove the whey. What you're then left with is the solid mass of the yoghurt which you can then use in place of the cottage cheese.
- (Be sure to keep the whey to apply to the skin as a refreshing, anti-ageing face mask. The antioxidants in whey are just simply AMAZING!)