Hands down, these brownies are the best brownies I’ve ever made!
Moist, sweet and packed to the rim with rich chocolate, one bite and you’ll fall in love with these brownies just as much as I have.
They’re paleo, gluten-free and MEGA chocolate-y!
The knowledge that I actually whipped up a batch of these brownies as an afterthought to hastily add to my paleo strawberry sundae is what makes them even more amazing.
Out of all the brownies I’ve made (and I’ve made more than a few!), these ones really are the best.
That’s how life is most of the time though, don’t you think? More often than not, when done spontaneously, things always turn out way better than when planned.
Whilst making them, I decided to throw in an avocado I was going to have and voila! It worked as well!
Then there’s the chocolate upon chocolate that’s involved in these beauties.
Instead of using solely cocoa powder in the ingredients to make up the chocolate brownies, I decided to add melted dark chocolate to the mix.
Then – wanting it to be all sticky and gooey on top after baking – I melted some more dark chocolate and liberally poured it on top.
THEN… just to make sure that I could taste the chocolate (?), I sprinkled some *chocolate chips on top of the warm, chocolate covered, chocolate brownies for good measure.
Seriously, that’s what I love about cooking.
The whole trial and error aspect of it is what makes cooking all the more exciting and almost an art form in itself.
Anyway, enough rambling from me, let’s get this recipe out of the way so I can go and enjoy the sun on this hot May afternoon before (knowing this good ol’ British weather) it starts to snow!
I’m telling you, England is the only country I know where you can get all four seasons in one day!
- 200g quality dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey/agave syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 whole avocado
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup tapioca/coconut/almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place a bowl over a pan of hot water (ensure that the bowl isn't touching the water) and melt half of the dark chocolate.
- Add the coconut oil and cocoa powder and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Remove from the heat and add the honey/syrup and allow to cool.
- In a blender, place the avocado and blend until pureed. Add the eggs to the avocado and blend for a few seconds before adding the melted chocolate mix and blending until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and blend until all the mixture is combined well.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and place in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a knife placed down the middle of the brownies comes out clean.
- Remove the cake tin from the oven and leave to cool before removing the brownies from the tin.
- Melt the remaining chocolate as before and pour this over the brownies.
- Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, cut into even pieces and set aside.
- Break the chocolate into pieces to ensure that it melts easily.
- *For the purposes of the photos, I sprinkled milk chocolate chips on top so that you could see them over the dark chocolate, so be sure to use dark chocolate chips if you wish to strictly follow the paleo diet.