The weather may be getting colder, but with ingredients tasting as good as this, it’s never too cold for a delicious tasting salad!
With juicy raisins, fluffy quinoa, fresh vegetables and soft feta all topped with creamy avocado, this salad is light enough to eat as a mid-morning snack but just as filling if having as an evening meal.
Trust me when I say that October was a funny ol’ month for me regarding my internet issues. No sooner had I regained some normally with my broadband, I was then hit with a whole heap of hosting palaver.
When I say ‘hit’, I basically mean that due to having no internet for over three weeks, I missed several polite emails from Go Daddy reminding me that my hosting fee was nearly due (then due..!), only to then have to pay a whopping £140 odd (instead of the usual £25 I pay every few months) to get my hosting and website back on! 😣
I can honestly say that I really am in dire need of a PA! Running this website (and all that goes along with it), along with other business ventures, as well as the joys of life in general are all no easy feat but to tell you the truth, the way I am, I’d probably need another PA just to remind me of all the things I have to delegate to the first PA!
It’s all good though as I have Jesus… 😇
Anyway, I made this beautiful quinoa, feta and avocado salad a few days back that I just had to share with you.
I had some quinoa left over from the night before when I made a paleo version of a traditional Sunday dinner (recipe coming soon) so decided to cook it up to make a light brunch and – not wanting anything too heavy – thought it would be nice to have a light salad. Let me tell you that by the time I had cleaned off my third plate, there no longer was anything light about me!
Due to all the fresh ingredients, I knew this salad was going to be good but, it really was more than that.
Maybe it was the cool and crumbly feta, the fresh and crispy vegetables, or the creamy avocado filled with a balsamic and honey dressing… I don’t know. All I know is that this salad was niiice!
What I also love about this recipe is that it can be eaten both warm or cold so – if like me – you want to eat it straight away after cooking instead of storing in the fridge to eat as a salad later (which I also did with what was left of it), then you most certainly can.
I sprinkled raisins on top of this salad to satisfy my sweet tooth but you can add any ingredients you wish when cooking or just before serving.
- 2-3 Cups of Quinoa
- 300g Mixed Vegetables (I used carrots, red onions, broad beans and broccoli)
- 2-3 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Gluten Free Stock Cubes
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Dried Mixed Herbs
- Half an Avocado
- 50g Feta Cheese
- Handful of Raisins
- Handful of Fresh Coriander
- 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Honey
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet's instructions before removing from the cooker, fluffing up with a fork (I like to add a bit of butter, salt and black pepper at this stage) and setting aside.
- In a frying pan, add the oil and when hot, add the vegetables and crumble over the stock cubes and mixed herbs, frying over a moderately high heat until the vegetables are cooked (but still al dente).
- Add the quinoa to the vegetables and fold in so that everything is covered. Add a bit more seasoning (if required) before removing from the frying pan.
- Plate up and add the feta, raisins, fresh coriander and avocado. Mix the balsamic vinegar and honey together and pour over the salad before serving.
- Before plating up and adding the remaining ingredients, you can place the quinoa and vegetable mix in the fridge to cool and serve as a cold salad or serve immediately after cooking. Either way tastes just as good!