As promised in my previous post ‘How to Make Fresh Pumpkin Purée‘, today I’m bringing you my recipe on how to make your own home-made, oven roasted pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin seeds contain a shed load of nutrients and health benefits.
Full of protein, antioxidants, zinc, fibre and omega-3 fats, pumpkin seeds can aid in a restful night’s sleep, improve prostate and bladder health, as well as fight depression.
I’ll go into more of the wonderful benefits of pumpkin seeds in another health post but for now, trust me when I say that pumpkin seeds rock!
They are a great on-the-go snack that – from scratch – are ready to eat in no time at all and just as with making your own pumpkin purée, there is something about making your own pumpkin seeds which leaves you with a joyful, hippy kind of feeling that comes from knowing you are eating healthier and almost makes you want to go out and hug a tree!
You can either lightly season the pumpkin seeds with a little salt and pepper after seasoning or – like me – season before placing in the oven with some authentic spicy seasonings for that extra bite.
Once you try your roasted pumpkin seeds, you’ll be glad I told you to save ’em!
So, to make your own delicious, oven-roasted pumpkin seeds firstly wash all the pumpkin bits left on the seeds after scooping them out.
Get the seeds nice and clean, removing every trace of pumpkin until you are left with nice, sparkling clean pumpkin seeds:
Then, you just simply place them on a baking tray and pop them in the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes, ensuring that you turn the seeds every 5-10 minutes so that they evenly roast.
It’s as simple as that!
Like I said, you can season as you wish before or after roasting.
Below is my recipe for spicy pumpkin seeds which I seasoned with a little curry, chilli flakes and cumin as I likes it hot… 🔥
- Fresh pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of medium curry
- Pinch of crushed fresh cumin seeds
- Pinch of dried mixed herbs
- Scoop out the pumpkin seeds from your pumpkin/s and wash thoroughly to remove all of the shaft and remnants from the pumpkin.
- Once cleaned, lightly season with the salt, pepper, curry, cumin, chilli flakes and mixed herbs.
- Place the seeds in a baking tray and put the tray in a pre-heated oven (180c) for approximately 20 minutes, tossing the seeds every 5 minutes to prevent the seeds from burning.
- You can roast the seeds for less time if you want them just lightly roasted but still ensure that the seeds are cooked through.
- You can also add a drop of extra virgin olive oil to the seeds before placing in the oven, if you prefer.