Thankfully the weather isn’t as unbearably hot as it has been these past few days here in London.
We’ve had the hottest day on record recently and man, was it hot! (I wanted to do that test were you put an egg on the pavement to see if it would fry before realising that I’d used all the eggs for breakfast a few hours earlier…)
So it’s still hot but thankfully now bearable, which makes it the perfect summer. ?
One of the things I love about summer is that food is considerably lighter. Not the stodgy, comfort food usually associated with winter, but light meals that as a result are often slimming.
Today’s chicken, sweet potato and zoodle salad is a perfect example of a light and healthy summer meal and with the chicken and sweet potatoes cooked in advance, it can also be ready in minutes. All this as well as being high in taste and low in fat makes this the perfect summer salad!
Along with the sweet fresh spiralized beetroot and nutritious red cabbage, I added a quick and easy balsamic & honey dressing (any excuse to add sweetness to a meal!) and have to say that I was rather pleased with the whole result. ?
(If you haven’t yet purchased a spiralizer then click here.)
So, give this light and refreshing salad recipe a go and whatever you’re doing, enjoy your summer.
- 2 chicken breasts, pre-seasoned, oven roasted and cubed,
- 2 large sweet potatoes, pre-seasoned, oven roasted and cubed,
- 4 whole zucchinis, spiralized,
- 4-6 cooked beetroot, spiralized,
- 1 whole red cabbage, grated,
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste,
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar,
- 4-5 teaspoons of organic extra virgin olive oil,
- 2 teaspoons of honey,
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Place the roasted chicken, sweet potato, spiralized zucchini, beetroot and grated cabbage in a bowl. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and chilli flakes to make a dressing.
- Pour over the delicious salad and enjoy!
- You can season the chicken and sweet potato any way you wish but why not have a look at my previous recipes for some inspiration.
- For a great way to pre-season chicken before roasting, take a look at my 'Chicken, Avocado & Spinach Salad' recipe.
- Take a look at my 'Oven Roasted Sweet Potato with Yoghurt Dip' recipe for a great and easy way to season sweet potatoes,